5 Chinese Cities and Provinces Spending Billions on Safe Cities Projects
650 Chinese cities are rushing to construct their safe city platforms by fusing Internet, video surveillance cameras, cell phones, GPS location data and biometric technologies into central public safety meta-systems. A few examples include:
- Sichuan Province is spending $4.2 billion on its safe city project including a network of 500,000 surveillance cameras.
- Guangdong Province ” Safe City Corridor” project will be based on a 1,000,000 camera surveillance systems at an estimated cost of over $6 Billion.
- Beijing municipal government is seeking to place cameras in all entertainment venues, adding 400,000 surveillance cameras to the bundle of 300,000 cameras that were installed for the 2008 Olympics.
- Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang, where almost 200 people died in the July 2009 riots, installed 40,000 surveillance cameras as part of an ongoing safe city project.
- The Safe City project of Guangzhou, one of the main export and manufacturing hubs, will include 270,000 surveillance cameras